Saturday, July 6, 2024

Saturday Photo

 


I heard that quote in the photo collage above sometime ago.  I'm not sure from which movie but I'm pretty sure it was a Hallmark TV movie. As I said over and over in the past few entries in this blog, my 'film-critique-wannabe' days are over.  I watch movies to relax and be entertained these days... and TV movies are now 'my thing'.  Anyway, I got reminded of that quote because, today, I felt that I saw 'soul and perfection' in what was otherwise 'common and familiar'. 

Today, I spent 12 hours with the elder of my two nephews.  We did what we love doing: long drive, eat good food, talk - a looot, and laugh our hearts out.  We used to do this a lot with his siblings and cousins when he was growing up.  We spent many days and hours going around nearby cities and vacation places - to relax, unwind, learn new things, go on adventure, go on foodie spree and shopping spree, just to be together... just making sweet memories.  The only difference is, we used to be driven around by our family driver.  This time, my nephew did all the driving... especially that when he let me take the steering wheel, our car flew from the street to someone's backyard! 😬😳😅

As I am 'partially' moving to a new little house outside Metro-Manila (for work), he helped me take care of a few chores such as furniture and appliances shopping, supervising and helping out as the builders add finishing touches to the new house.  I think I will need another year or so to get the house in the shape that I need it to be but, for now, given the urgency of the need for me to be working in the new site, the mere essentials are good.  To run errands for the home is merely an 'excuse' for me.  What I really looked forward to doing today was spending time with my nephew... which I hadn't done in such a long time.  So when he sent that one-line message, "I'll see you on Saturday, Tita," without any sort of introduction... I think anyone can hear my smile from ear to ear in my own one-liner: "Alright!"  Well, uhm, I had to play it cool, y'know.

I missed my nephew.  He is more handsome than I remember - very tall and good-looking in a very casual and relaxed way... and very articulate, too. I didn't realize how mature he has become at merely 25 years... he has a good job, a very good relationship with a wonderful young woman that he loves and who loves him, too... and by all the stories he told me, it seems that his heart is still in the right place - despite his success and a sweet young love that turns a new leaf everyday and that so many people of his age can only dream of.  I am a very proud aunt - totally!  

Sometimes, I think of the days that I might have spent for 'my own personal happiness', which were spent in another way in order that every member of my family would realize their dreams. In days like today, I realize that this is my personal happiness... seeing my loved ones, such as my nephew, enjoy the happiness that they so deserved.  I am just too happy and grateful to God that I could feel this incredible feeling of having my heart swell with so much love, joy and pride.  It feels like an ordinary day turns into something special - soulful and just perfect!

***
Image credit:  All photos in the collage above are mine.

***